- From young plant to ripe crops in 10-12 weeks
- 32 cabbages and relatives for the spring and summer
- National Vegetable Society and Royal Horticultural Society approved
Extra Early Brassica Plants are a great way to give you some of the earliest crops of brussels, cabbage, calabrese and cauliflower - plant them this March and you could be harvesting from May – just two months after for an extra quick turn-around.
Extra Early Brassica Collection includes 8 plants each of:
- Broccoli (Calabrese) Marathon - Produces dense blue-green, finely beaded succulent heads from May.
- Cabbage Duncan - One of the best spring cabbages, producing firm, pointed heads in May but can be picked before maturity and eaten as 'spring greens' in April.
- Cauliflower Maybach - An excellent, early maturing variety that will not 'blow' in warm weather.
- Brussels Sprout Clodius - Dependable solid, round sprouts ready in time for the Christmas period and continuing for the remainder of winter when other green vegetables are scarce.
We’ve already sown the seeds in autumn, gently growing the plants on over the winter under controlled, cool greenhouse conditions to produce sturdy young plants that are ready to despatch and plant out in mid/late March, some 8-10 weeks earlier than the main brassica planting period.
The Extra Early Brassicas have been sown in October and overwintered undercover with frost protection. The plants are tough, sturdy and stocky ready hardened off for immediate planting on arrival.
The plants will not look as fresh as spring sown plants BUT don’t be alarmed! The plants will be taller and have some yellow leaves which will either fall off or green up as the plant gets growing. The plants are typical of those planted by commercial growers up and down the country and will thrive in prepared soil.
These plants will crop 6-8 weeks earlier in your garden than spring raised crops and give you good harvest from your garden as early as May so you can harvest them before persistent brassica pests are around like cabbage white caterpillar and whitefly.
We recommend you water your bed before planting and put the plant in backfilling and firming the soil lightly around the plant.
|J Jan||F Feb||M Mar||A Apr||M May||J June||J Jul||A Aug||S Sep||O Oct||N Nov||D Dec|