WHO is Responsible for the Processing of Your Personal Data?
WHAT Personal Data Do We Collect and WHEN?
We ask you for certain personal data to provide you with the products or services you request. For example, when you make purchases, contact our customer services, request to receive communications, create an account, participate in our events or contests, or use our Site.
This personal data includes your:
- contact details including name, email, telephone number and shipping, billing address;
- login and account information, including screen name, password and unique user ID;
- personal details including gender, date of birth and purchase history;
- payment or credit card information;
- images, photos and videos;
- personal preferences including your wish list as well as marketing and cookie preferences.
We collect additional personal data from you to enable particular features within our Site. For example, we request access to your social network credentials to post content from the Site to a social network. This personal data includes your:
- social network information, including credentials and any information from your public posts about Marshalls or your communications with us.
- Device IDs, call state, network access, storage information and battery information; and
- Cookies, IP addresses, referrer headers, data identifying your web browser and version, and web beacons and tags.
TOOLS to Manage What Personal Data We Collect
When using our Site, we also provide in-time notice or obtain consent for certain practices. For example, we will obtain consent to use your location or send push notifications. We may obtain this consent through the Sites or using the standard permissions available on your device.
In many cases, your web browser or mobile device platform will provide additional tools to allow you to control when your device collects or shares particular categories of personal data. For example, your mobile device or web browser may offer tools to allow you to manage cookie usage or location sharing. We encourage you to familiarise yourself with and use the tools available on your devices.
WHY and HOW Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We use your personal data in the following ways:
To Provide the Features of the Site.
When you use our Site, we will use your personal data to provide the requested product or service. For example, if you make a purchase on Marshalls-Seeds.co.uk or participate in an event or promotion, we will use the contact information you give us to communicate with you about the purchase, event or promotion. If you contact our customer services, we will use information about you, such as delivery or payment information, or the product you have purchased to help you resolve a problem or question.
In many cases, to use particular features within our Site you may need to provide Marshalls with additional data or additional consent to use particular data in a certain way. For example, to share content on social media, you may be required to provide your social media account credentials to sign in.
To Communicate Information about our Products, Services, Events and for Other Promotional Purposes.
When you consent, we will send you marketing communications and news concerning Marshalls products, services, events and other promotions. You can opt-out at any time after you have given your consent.
If you are an existing customer of Marshalls (for example, if you have placed an order with us), we may use the contact details you provided to send you marketing communications about similar Marshalls products or services where permitted by applicable law (unless you have opted-out). In other cases, we ask for your consent to send you marketing information. We may use the information that you provide to us as well as information from other Marshalls products or services - such as your use of Marshalls’ Site, your participation in Marshalls events and competitions - to personalise communications on products and services that may be interesting for you.
To Operate, Improve and Maintain our Business, Products and Services
We use the personal data you provide to us to operate our business. For example, when you make a purchase, we use that information for accounting, audits and other internal functions. We may use personal data about how you use our products and services to enhance your user experience and to help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our Site.
To Protect Our or Others' Rights, Property or Safety
For General Research and Analysis Purposes
We use data about how our visitors use our Site to understand customer behaviour or preferences. For example, we may use information about how visitors to Marshalls-seeds.co.uk search for and find products to better understand the best ways to organise and present product offerings on our Site.
We may also use your personal data in other ways and will provide specific notice at the time of collection and obtain your consent where necessary.
To process your personal data, we rely on certain legal grounds, depending on how you interact with our Site.
- When you purchase Marshalls products from our Site, we need your personal data to fulfil our contract with you. For example, we need your payment and contact details to deliver your order.
- We also rely on other legal grounds, such as our legitimate interests as a business, to comply with a legal obligation, or to protect your vital interests.
SHARING of Your Personal Data
Marshalls shares your personal data with:
- Marshalls entities for the purposes and under the conditions outlined above.
- Third party service providers processing personal data on Marshalls behalf, for example to process credit cards and payments, shipping and deliveries, host, manage and service our data, distribute emails, research and analysis, manage brand and product promotions as well as administering certain services and features. When using third party service providers we enter into agreements that require them to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal data.
- to any other third party where you have provided your consent.
We may also transfer personal data we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganisation, spin-off, dissolution or liquidation).
PROTECTION and MANAGEMENT of Your Personal Data
We have security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. Our on-line transaction systems use the latest encryption technology to enable secure internet transactions to take place.
All personal information transmitted on our website is encrypted to prevent unauthorised access. We protect our web server with a 2048 bit security certificate, and have our servers frequently scanned by independent security specialist Security Metrics to ensure that our website does not have any security venerability.
We have additional security procedures in place to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your user Information:
- 2048 Bit SSL Encryption used on all pages where personal information is transferred. Most sites use 128 Bit SSL, but we have adopted the strongest SSL available - which is also backed by Comodo's identity assurance warranty to give you extra peace of mind. (Look out for the padlock & green address bar on SSL pages)
- PCI-DSS approved merchant - this means our website and network are frequently tested by Security Metrics - who are approved by Barclaycard Merchant Services - our credit card payment processor. They perform very extensive tests on our website to ensure that your personal information is safe and secure!
We comply with all relevant UK Data Protection legislation & are registered with the information commissioner - www.ico.gov.uk.
We hope that this gives you the reassurance and confidence to buy online on our extremely secure website, but if you still have doubts please do contact us (0344 557 6700) where we will be happy to take you order over the telephone.
Retention of your Personal Data
We will only keep your personal data for as long as necessary to carry out the purposes we collected it for e.g. satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To decide how long we should keep personal data, we consider:
- the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the data,
- the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure,
- the purposes for which we are processing your personal data
- whether we can achieve those purposes through other means
- applicable legal requirements.
- Details of retention periods for different aspects of your personal data are covered in How We Use Your Data section.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data - see Request erasure below for further information.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case the data is no longer covered by EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018 or this privacy statement.
YOUR RIGHTS Relating to Your Personal Data
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data.
- Request access to your personal data
- Request correction of your personal data
- Request erasure of your personal data
- Object to processing of your personal data
- Request restriction of processing your personal data
- Request transfer of your personal data
- Right to withdraw consent
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and to ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to a person with no right to receive it.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within 30 days. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Opting Out of Direct Marketing
If you have a Marshalls account, you can opt-out of receiving Marshalls marketing communications by contacting us at email@example.com.
You can also opt-out by modifying your email subscriptions by clicking on the unsubscribe link or following the opt-out instructions included in the message. Alternatively, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COOKIES and Pixel Tags
Marshalls collects information, which may include personal data, from your browser when you use our Sites. We use a variety of methods, such as cookies and pixel tags to collect this information, which may include your (i) IP-address; (ii) unique cookie identifier, cookie information and information on whether your device has software to access certain features; (iii) unique device identifier and device type; (iv) domain, browser type and language, (v) operating system and system settings; (vi) country and time zone; (vii) previously visited websites; (viii) information about your interaction with our Site such as click behaviour, purchases and indicated preferences; and (ix) access times and referring URLs.
Third parties may also collect information via our Site through cookies, third party plug-ins and widgets. These third parties collect data directly from your web browser and the processing of this data is subject to their own privacy policies.
- Functional cookies: These cookies are required for basic site functionality and allow us to improve functionality by tracking usage and are therefore always enabled. These include cookies that allow you to be remembered as you explore our sites within a single session or, if you request, from session to session. They help make the shopping cart and checkout process possible as well as assist in security issues and conforming to regulations. Refusing these cookies may result in poorly-tailored recommendations and slow site performance.
- Social media & advertising cookies: Social media cookies offer the possibility to connect you to your social networks and share content from our site through social media. Advertising cookies (of third parties) collect information to help better tailor advertising to your interests, both within and beyond our site. In some cases, these cookies involve the processing of your personal data. Refusing these cookies may result in seeing advertising that is not as relevant to you or you not being able to link effectively with Facebook, Twitter, or other social networks and/or not allowing you to share content on social media.
For a comprehensive and up-to-date summary of every third-party accessing your web browser (through Marshalls Site or otherwise), we recommend installing a web browser plugin built for this purpose. You can also choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings on each browser and device that you use. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you may not have access to many features that make our Site more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
USING Marshalls Site with Third-Party Products and Services
Our Site allow you to interact with a wide variety of other digital products and services. For example, our Site can integrate with third-party devices for social networks, personalised product recommendations, market research and other digital services.
If you choose to connect your Marshalls account with a third-party device or account, your privacy rights on third-party platforms will be governed by their respective policies. For example, if you choose to share your Marshalls activity on third-party social media platforms, the policies of those platforms govern the data that resides there.
Our Site may provide links to other (third-party) websites and apps for your convenience or information. Linked sites and apps have their own privacy notices or policies, which we strongly encourage you to review. To the extent any linked websites or apps are not owned or controlled by us, we are not responsible for their content, any use of the websites or apps, or the privacy practices of the websites or apps.
QUESTIONS and Feedback
If you wish to provide feedback or if you have questions or concerns or wish to exercise your rights related to your personal data, please email us at email@example.com.
If you contact us with a privacy complaint it will be assessed with the aim of resolving the issue in a timely and effective manner. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority in the country in which you reside.